Frequently Asked Questions
How long do families stay in the Network?
This depends on each family’s goals and individual needs, but the average stay nationwide is 65-70 days.
Where do guest families stay during the day on weekends?
Families stay at the Day House or do weekend activities.
How are families referred to the Network?
A network of community partners refers families to us, and they must meet criteria and make commitments to our program. An in-depth intake interview process takes place after a family initially qualifies.
What are some advantages of the Family Promise program over a more traditional shelter?
A Family Promise Affiliate (there are 200+ nationwide) has these advantages in communities:
- It is cost-effective because it utilizes existing community resources.
- This program doesn’t institutionalize shelter as a solution to homelessness.
- About 76 percent of the guest families find permanent housing, often with volunteers’ help.
- Family Promise can be a vital outreach ministry within the walls of the members’ own church or faith building.
- Many affiliate programs go on to start other community-based initiatives that contribute to the area’s unique needs.